Major Initiatives Implementation and Oversight (MIIO)
MIIO advises the Vice-Chancellor on the implementation of University strategy and monitors key initiatives. To ensure co-ordination between the two bodies, the Vice-Chancellor and Senior Vice-Presidents are members of both the Vice-Chancellor's Executive Committee, which deals with all matters of strategy, policy and budget, and MIIO.
Terms of reference
Major Initiatives Implementation and Oversight will:
- Make recommendations to the Vice-Chancellor on the implementation of the University's strategy and monitor the University's performance against the strategic and operational plans;
- Ensure a prompt and strongly co-ordinated approach to the evaluation of academic and business opportunities, review submissions for major new initiatives against the University's strategic plan and monitor their performance and risks;
- Review the use of resources and performance across all organisational units (eg faculties, schools, departments, portfolios);
- Monitor the University's key risk profile, key risk and performance indicators and financial performance against its strategic objectives;
- Receive formal Post Implementation Review (PIR) report from the responsible executive on completion or transfer to 'business as usual' status.
The MIIO will meet once every three weeks.
Substitutes will not be permitted unless a member plans to be absent from the University for more than four weeks. However if a Dean is an apology then another Dean may replace them.
The following shall be ex officio members of the committee:
|Professor Margaret Gardner||Vice-Chancellor (Chair)|
|Professor Pauline Nestor||Interim Provost and Senior Vice-President|
|Mr Peter Marshall||Chief Operating Officer and Senior Vice-President|
|Mr David Pitt||Chief Financial Officer and Senior Vice-President|
|Professor Abid Khan||Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Global Engagement)|
|Professor Susan Elliott||Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education)|
|Mr Ken Sloan||Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Enterprise)|
|Professor Pauline Nestor||Senior Vice-Provost and Vice-Provost (Research)|
|Professor Ian Smith||Vice-Provost (Research & Research Infrastructure|
|Professor Colm Kearney||Dean, Faculty of Business and Economics|
|Professor Bryan Horrigan||Dean, Faculty of Law|
|Professor Christina Mitchell||Dean, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences|
|Professor Cristina Varsavsky||Acting Dean, Faculty of Science|
|Mr Russell Elliott||Vice-President (Services)|
|Mr Trevor Woods||Chief Information Officer|
|Ms Cathrine Harboe-Ree||University Librarian|
|Ms Jo Mithen||CEO, Monash College|
|Ms Caroline Knowles||Interim Chief Marketing Officer|
|Ms Jane Holt||Executive Director, Office of the Provost|
|Mr Damien Farrell||Executive Director, External Relations, Development and Alumni|
|Ms Jane McLoughlin||Chief of Staff and Director, Office of the Vice-Chancellor|
|Ms Moh-Lee Ng||Director, Risk & Compliance|
In attendance: Secretary to MIIO
Other senior staff to attend by invitation as appropriate.
Meeting dates for 2017
Meetings take place normally on a three weekly cycle on Wednesdays.
|Submission date||Meeting date|
|17 Feb||23 Feb|
|9 Mar||15 Mar|
|30 Mar||5 Apr|
|20 Apr||26 Apr|
|25 May||31 May|
|15 Jun||21 Jun|
|13 Jul||19 Jul|
|10 Aug||16 Aug|
|24 Aug||30 Aug|
|14 Sep||20 Sep|
|5 Oct||11 Oct|
|26 Oct||1 Nov|
|23 Nov||29 Nov|
All submissions to MIIO should be prefaced with the one-page summary sheet (DOCX, 0.7 MB).
For detailed information and templates regarding the approval workflow and reporting of initiatives, please refer to intranet pages of Financial Resources Management (Monash Staff only).
Professor Margaret Gardner AO
Phone: (03) 9902 9851
Ms Kerrie Edwards
Phone: (03) 9902 9851