Major Initiatives Implementation and Oversight (MIIO)
MIIO advises the Vice-Chancellor on the implementation of University strategy and monitors key initiatives. To ensure co-ordination between the two bodies, the Vice-Chancellor and Senior Vice-Presidents are members of both the Vice-Chancellor's Executive Committee, which deals with all matters of strategy, policy and budget, and MIIO.
Terms of reference
Major Initiatives Implementation and Oversight will:
- Make recommendations to the Vice-Chancellor on the implementation of the University's strategy and monitor the University's performance against the strategic and operational plans;
- Ensure a prompt and strongly co-ordinated approach to the evaluation of academic and business opportunities, review submissions for major new initiatives against the University's strategic plan and monitor their performance and risks;
- Review the use of resources and performance across all organisational units (eg faculties, schools, departments, portfolios);
- Monitor the University's key risk profile, key risk and performance indicators and financial performance against its strategic objectives;
- Receive formal Post Implementation Review (PIR) report from the responsible executive on completion or transfer to 'business as usual' status.
The MIIO will meet once every three weeks.
Substitutes will not be permitted unless a member plans to be absent from the University for more than four weeks. However if a Dean is an apology then another Dean may replace them.
The following shall be ex officio members of the committee:
|Professor Margaret Gardner||Vice-Chancellor (Chair)|
|Professor Edwina Cornish||Provost|
|Mr Peter Marshall||COO|
|Mr David Pitt||CFO|
|Professor Abid Khan||DVC Global Engagement|
|Professor Andrew Coats||AVP (Monash Warwick Alliance)|
|Professor Rae Frances||Faculty of Arts|
|Professor Colm Kearney||Faculty of Business and Economics|
|Professor Frieder Seible||Faculty of Engineering and IT|
|Professor Christina Mitchell||Faculty of Medicine Nursing and Health Sciences|
|Professor Pauline Nestor||Vice Provost (Research) and Senior Vice Provost|
|Professor Darrell Evans||Vice Provost (Learning and Teaching)|
|Professor Zlatko Skrbis||Vice Provost (Graduate Education)|
|Professor Sue Willis||Vice Provost (Education Programs)|
|Professor Kim Langfield-Smith||Vice Provost (Academic Performance)|
|Professor Ian Smith||Vice Provost (Research and Research Infrastructure|
|Professor Leon Piterman||PVC and President Berwick and Peninsula|
|Professor Mohan Krishnamoorthy||PVC Industry Partnerships|
|Professor Aibing Yu||PVC and President (Monash-SEU Joint ResearchInstitute)|
|Mr Trevor Woods||Chief Information Officer|
|Mr Russell Elliott||Vice President (Services)|
|Ms Jo Mithen||CEO Monash College|
|Ms Jane McLoughlin||Vice-Chancellor's Chief of Staff|
|Ms Jane Holt||Executive Director to Provost|
|Ms Jessica Lightfoot||Executive Director, FIRM|
|Ms Karen Haywood||Executive Director, Human Resources|
|Ms Catherine Harboe-Ree||University Librarian|
|Ms Moh-Lee Ng||Director, Risk and Compliance|
In attendance: Secretary to MIIO
Other senior staff to attend by invitation as appropriate.
Meeting dates for 2017
Meetings take place normally on a three weekly cycle on Wednesdays.
|Submission date||Meeting date|
|17 Feb||23 Feb|
|9 Mar||15 Mar|
|30 Mar||5 Apr|
|20 Apr||26 Apr|
|25 May||31 May|
|15 Jun||21 Jun|
|13 Jul||19 Jul|
|10 Aug||16 Aug|
|24 Aug||30 Aug|
|14 Sep||20 Sep|
|5 Oct||11 Oct|
|26 Oct||1 Nov|
|23 Nov||29 Nov|
All submissions to MIIO should be prefaced with the one-page summary sheet (DOCX, 0.7 MB).
For detailed information and templates regarding the approval workflow and reporting of initiatives, please refer to intranet pages of Financial Resources Management (Monash Staff only).
Professor Margaret Gardner AO
Phone: (03) 9902 9851
Ms Kerrie Edwards
Phone: (03) 9902 9851