Achievements and impact
Access Monash Mentoring has grown in scale year-on-year since its inception. In 2017 we have 618 mentees from 43 schools participating in the program – a 630% increase since 2012. In this time, the program has helped over 2000 students from low SES backgrounds make informed and inspired decisions about their future. More than 93% of mentees contacted since 2012 have received a tertiary offer, in courses across all fields of study. This compares with a 45% transition to university rate for the equivalent cohort Victoria-wide.
Demand for mentor positions is high: 1285 Monash students applied to be mentors in 2017, including 158 returning from 2016. The 2017 cohort of 378 mentors are supported by 26 Mentor Leaders.
Key achievements 2017
- 618 mentees from 43 schools
- 378 student mentors
- 240 Year 9 and 10 Champions
- Mentors will contribute a collective 10,000+ hours
- 306 Community Leaders Scholarships
- 97% of 2016 mentees contacted received a tertiary offer for 2017
- 63 mentees received offers to study at Monash
- 1248 students applied to become mentors in 2017
- 5 Betty Amsden Mentor Leaders appointed