Do you want to meet other students like you, be inspired and discover the possibilities maths and science have to offer? Get involved in SEAMS!
Strengthening Engagement and Achievement in Mathematics and Science (SEAMS) is an exciting opportunity for students to connect, interact, be inspired and discover the possibilities maths and science have to offer. The program, run in partnership with the University of Melbourne, aims to increase equitable participation and attainment in science and maths-related disciplines in higher education.
SEAMS gives you the chance to:
- Get a head start on your maths and science VCE subjects
- Attend camps at Monash University and the University of Melbourne during your school holidays
- Connect with other students who share your interests, and make new friends
- Experience university life first-hand
- Explore the options available for your future
- Get ongoing support online and invitations to special events throughout the year.
How does the program work?
As a SEAMS participant you will be invited to attend two SEAMS camps during the year, in January and June. The camps are held on campus at Monash University or the University of Melbourne. You will stay for two nights at a university residential college with fellow students from across Victoria. You'll participate in interactive workshops and academic sessions to prepare you for Maths Methods, Chemistry and Physics VCE subjects. You will also have the chance to take part in fun activities that will help you get to know your fellow SEAMS participants.
All meals and activities are provided, and there is no cost to participate.
SEAMS is offered to students attending one of our partner schools in Victoria and who will be studying Maths Methods and at least one of Chemistry or Physics in 2017.
Camps and applications for 2017
Year 11 camp: 23 – 25 January at the University of Melbourne
Year 12 camp: 17 – 19 January at Monash University
How to apply:
- Step 1: Talk to your teacher or year level coordinator to make sure your school is a SEAMS partner school. If you're not sure, please ask your teacher or year level coordinator to contact us.
- Step 2: Fill out the online application.
- Step 3: Ask your parents to fill out the authorisation form and return it to the SEAMS office.