You are a new resident if you have never lived in a Monash Residential Services (MRS) managed residence.
Applications are open all year round if you are applying for the current year. Applications for the following year are open from Open Day onwards. All applications are processed on a first-in, first-served basis for suitable vacancies.
1. Check your eligibility and read regulations and policies
- To be eligible you must be a Monash student or applying to be a Monash student. Applications for accommodation are processed on a "first-in-first-served" basis for suitable vacancies. It's best that you read the conditions of residency, smoking and alcohol policy prior to completing the application form.
If you are a new resident and you would like to live at the Berwick, Peninsula, Clayton Residential Village or Clayton Urban Community (not including those who wish to live at Briggs or Jackomos Halls), please refer to the Admissions Policy that sets out the list of eligibility criteria, possible exceptions (if any) and the order that offers of accommodation are made.
- If you would like to live at the NRAS studio apartments in Briggs and Jackomos Halls, you must meet the NRAS eligibility requirements. The apartments are single occupancy and only the person named on the lease may live in the apartment. Please be aware that the Landlord will not approve changes to any lease to allow more than one person to live in any apartment.
The rights and obligations of Tenants and Landlords are governed by the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Vic) [RTA].
When applying for Briggs or Jackomos Halls, you should also:
- Read all the questions carefully and complete the application form in full; and
- Attach all evidence as requested
- Read 'Tenancy Information and Eligibility Requirements ' and must satisfy the eligibility criteria.
- Read 'Completing the Employment and Income Details Guide' (PDF, 0.15 MB) .This form provides instructions on how to complete the Employment and Income sections on the application form.
- Read the Fee Regulations and acknowledge the terms and conditions
- Read Briggs Hall and Jackomos Hall Accommodation Complex Policy to understand the expectations that the landlord has of the tenants whilst in and around the complex. This policy is not exclusive or comprehensive list of every obligation tenants must at all times act in accordance with the RTA.
If you choose not to complete all questions on the form or not to attach evidence as requested it may not be possible to assess your application.
2. Have the following details on hand:
|If you are applying for Berwick, Peninsula, Clayton Residential Village or Clayton Urban Community accommodation||If you are applying for Briggs or Jackomos Hall accommodation|
| || |
Access the online application form relevant to you:
You will receive an email from us to acknowledge receipt of your application, providing you with an application number. If you indicated an interest in shared apartment accommodation, MRS may request further details on your accommodation preference.
If you are applying for accommodation at the NRAS Briggs or Jackomos Hall, MRS may contact you for additional information as required for you to meet NRAS Eligibility Requirements. You will then be asked to choose a room from the floor plans provided.
Make sure you check your emails regularly. We recommend you also check your spam/junk mail inboxes.
If you applied for accommodation at Berwick, Peninsula or Clayton Residential Village and your application is successful, you will receive an email with an accommodation offer package in the month prior to the commencement of your contract. Only one offer will be sent to you, this offer is subject to the availability of rooms and at the discretion of the college head.
If you applied for accommodation at the Clayton Urban Community (except for those who applied for accommodation at Briggs or Jackomos Hall), and your application is successful, you will receive an e-mail with an accommodation offer package in the month prior to the commencement of your contract.
Only one offer will be sent to you based on your first preference and subject to the availability of rooms. Should you wish to change your preference please contact the Residential Office of your preferred campus.
Once you have a confirmed placed in a Monash University course, you will need to accept the offer before the deadline advised in your Accommodation Offer email. To accept, you must submit the completed Residency Agreement (via email, mail or in person) and make payment of the $500 rental deposit.
For Briggs or Jackomos Hall applicants, once your application has been successful and you have chosen your room, we will send you the following documents which you must complete, sign and return to us:
- a fixed term Residential Tenancy Agreement;
- a Tenant Consent Form and a Tenant Demographic Assessment Form
- a copy of your driver's licence or passport for identification purposes.
Please note that if you do not provide all of these documents we will be unable to process your tenancy application.
Whilst optional, we also encourage you to complete a "medical allergies and medications" form and return it with the above documents. You do not need to complete this form; however we encourage all Tenants to complete this form in case of an emergency.
On receipt of the required documents, prospective tenants will be issued with an invoice for two weeks rent in advance which will be applied to the first two weeks of the new contract period. You will be required to make payment of the 2 weeks rent in advance within 3 business days of receiving the invoice to confirm your place.
If your application to live at Berwick, Peninsula, Clayton Residential Village or Clayton Urban Community (except for Briggs or Jackomos halls) is successful, your residency agreement has been received and the AU$500 rental deposit has been paid, you will receive an email confirming receipt of your payment.
Before your arrival, you will receive an email confirming your accommodation.
As a Briggs or Jackomos hall applicant you will receive a welcome e-mail prior to your chosen date of arrival and on arrival you will be asked to provide photo ID (passport or driver's license) as proof of identity before gaining admittance into our residences.
What we need from you after you have been issued with the keys to your apartment:
- Completed and signed arrival room condition report
- Confirmation of your personal information we have on our records
[The arrival room condition report will be issued to you with your apartment keys. The arrival room condition report is important because it can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage or replacement of missing items.]
For rental rates for the various accommodation options, see our pricing page.