Arrival and settling in
For most residents, moving out of home for the first time is an exciting, but also a daunting experience. That's why we have advice and guidance to help you get settled in. Res Start is an online resource for when you are starting out at Monash University.
Developed by our past residents, Res Start helps to answer questions about accommodation and living on campus. Part of the our comprehensive Orientation and Transition program, it also provides useful tips, stories from residents and interesting videos, so have a good look around.
We are sad to see you go but we hope you have enjoyed your stay at your hall. There are a few things you need to note before you leave.
Before you depart your room
- Complete departure form
- Update your address and contact details via WES
You should update your address and contact details via the web enrolment system (WES), available through your myMonash Portal. This will ensure that all correspondence from the university is mailed to the correct address.
You should pick up and complete a departure form available from the Administration Office. The form is also available via the online link sent to your Monash email account.
On the form, please ensure that you provide a forwarding address as your mail will be forwarded to you for a period of TWO WEEKS ONLY after your departure. Make sure you advise your family, friends, business and other associates of your new mailing address.
Important: As mail is forwarded and/or returned via Australia Post, MRS accepts no responsibility in the event letters and/or parcels do not reach the intended destinations. Please be advised that all mail will be Returned to Sender after the two week period.
On the day of your departure
- Clean your room thoroughly and clear of all rubbish and personal belongings;
- Ensure that all MRS standard items are present in the room. You may use the departure checklist for residents below.
- Lock your door
- Check your mail box and remove the lock, clear your bike from the bike shed (if applicable);
- Return your parking permit to the Administration Office (if applicable). Residents will be invoiced the replacement cost (blue permit rate) for any permit not returned.
- Return your keys to the Administration Office.
Please note that the departure time is 10am, on your scheduled departure date. Charges will apply if your keys are not returned.
For staff and visitors, check-out time is 10am. Staff and visitors who leave after 10am will be charged for an additional night.
An after-hours key return box is available as per the locations below to return your keys when the office is closed. Please do not return parking permits via this box. Parking permits must be returned to the Administration Office during opening hours.
After-hours key return box locations
|If you live at||Where to return your keys|
|Clayton Residential Village||At Building 47 Administration Office|
|Clayton Urban Community||Near the mailboxes in your hall|
|Berwick Residential||In the entrance foyer at the office|
|Peninsula Residential||Must be returned to security|
Please do not hand your keys to a friend or a member of the RST to be returned on your departure. You will be invoiced for every extra night should your keys arrive at the Administration Office later than your departure date.
- Your voicemail will be reset at 10am on your nominated departure date. All read and unread messages will be deleted and the password will be reset.
- Should it be the case that you have not filled in a Room Condition Report on commencement of your accommodation for this academic year, this will not excuse you from your responsibilities. As stated in the Fee Regulations it will be assumed that failure to have returned your completed Room Condition Report to the Administration Office means that your room was in perfect condition when you arrived and you will be financially responsible for any missing items or damage found in the room.
- To avoid receiving an invoice for cleaning after your departure, remove all rubbish and personal belongings from the room you are vacating. Please be aware that MRS will dispose of any items left in the room and charges may apply. MRS will take no responsibility for any belongings left in rooms that have been vacated in communal areas.
- You may refer to the departure checklist for residents to help you ensure that you do not receive any charges for missing items or damage to your room. Please go through this list carefully and tick off each item. The checklist will assist you in avoiding any possible charges before handing in your room keys. You do not have to hand this checklist in.
- Storage facilities are not available and residents are not permitted to store their personal belongings in residential areas.
- Ensure you have cleared all personal belongings and food from the kitchen cupboards, lockers and fridges, all clothing is removed from the laundries, all bikes are removed from bike sheds. After departure all communal areas will be inspected and all items remaining will be disposed of.
- Take care not to leave any items such as boxes or bags outside your bedroom whilst packing. Doing so is an OHS risk and these items will be removed and disposed of by cleaning staff.
Departure checklist for residents
- Departure checklist for Turner Hall, Holman Hall, Campbell Hall and Logan Hall residents (PDF, 0.03 MB)
- Departure checklist for Clayton Residential (Halls of residence/Normanby House/Southeast Flats) residents (PDF, 0.03 MB)
- Departure checklist for Berwick Residential (PDF, 0.02 MB)
- Departure checklist for Peninsula Residential (PDF, 0.02 MB)
Contact Administration Office
If you have any further enquiries or you are unsure about your responsibilities prior to departure, please do not hesitate to contact the Administration Office on 9905 6266.