We believe all our residents and staff deserve to feel safe on campus, and we take security and welfare of our communities (and those who live in them) very seriously. Please watch our campus safety video below.
As part of the campus, MRS is supported by the University's security services, with security assistance on hand 24/7 - but we also have dedicated ‘MRS’ services personnel on site each night at Clayton to assist all residents and to ensure safety and security. Here are some of the other ways we keep everyone safe:
- MRS is part of the University Respect Now Always initiative
- MRS Safety, security and OHS procedures page
- Only residents have access to their hall (via proxy card or security key access)
- All rooms have their own lock for added privacy
- All halls and rooms have smoke alarms and fire-safety equipment which is checked regularly
- On-Campus Security personnel can escort you to your residence if you’re returning late at night - and security staff are based in or close to the Residences
- We run fire safety inductions and regular drills
- Our Residential Support Teams are made up of senior Monash University staff and student leaders who live in each hall to support each resident. They are trained to understand the special needs of younger students living away from home for the first time.
- Residential Support Team members have first-aid training, mental health first-aid training and all are required to have a Working With Children Check.
A safe environment requires cooperation from everyone in the residential community, which is why our Conditions of Residency includes a number of security initiatives and responsibilities.