Skip to content

Course or campus transfer


You can apply for an internal transfer if you want to transfer:

  • from one Monash coursework degree to another, and/or
  • to a different Monash campus.

You can only transfer between the same course type (e.g. from one bachelor degree to another bachelor degree) and only if you haven't completed your course. If you are completing your current course and wish to enrol in another, you will need to apply as instructed in Find a course.

Masters by research or doctoral degree students should contact their faculty or Graduate Research about transfers.


Transferring course or campus is part of a competitive selection process. This means that you will be competing with other students for a place in the course.

The minimum eligibility requirements for a course transfer are:

  • being a current Monash student (you must maintain your enrolment)
  • meeting the prerequisites for the new course
  • performing at an appropriate level in your current course
  • successful completion of at least 12 credit points of a Monash University course.

The actual requirements for transfer may be higher

These are set by the faculty managing the course, including the number of completed credit points required to be considered for a transfer. Check the course transfer requirements carefully, before making an application for a transfer.

Credit for previous studies

If successful, you may be eligible for credit. Credit is awarded only if your previous studies are relevant to the new course.

Apply for a transfer

Not all courses are open for transfer applications. Follow the link below to see the courses on offer and how to apply.

  1. View courses open for transfer applications
  2. Check the additional entry requirements for course transfers
  3. Click the Apply Now button (on same page as entry requirements)
  1. Submit an internal course transfer application (pdf, 0.25 mb) to the faculty managing the course. Do this before completing your current course.
  2. Ensure you remain enrolled in your current course while waiting for the outcome of your application.

Applications close

Semester one - 31 October (of previous year)
Semester two - 12 June

When to apply

Closing dates vary. Most course applications close on 31 October 2016 but some faculties have extended application dates.

Applications for transfers into some Science courses (semester one) are open until 24 February 2017. See the courses open for transfer page for more detail.

Semester two applications open in May.

Outcomes and notification

The faculty will notify you of the outcome of your application. If you applied for a course transfer in semester one 2017, see below for notification times.

  • Round one applicants (who met the deadline) will receive notice within two weeks after semester two results are released on 5 December.
  • Round two applicants will receive an outcome as soon as possible - and no later than 24 February 2017.

If successful, you'll receive notification:

  • on how to accept the offer and enrol
  • of any approved credit transfer (if applicable)
  • that by accepting an offer of course transfer, you grant permission to be discontinued from your current course by the course managing faculty.


If you transfer campuses but remain in the same course, your fees will be charged at the continuing rate, relevant to the year you commenced the course.

Transferring into a different course (with or without changing campuses) means you are considered a new (commencing) student. Your fees will be charged at the commencing rate based on your new course start date. For fee amounts, see the course entry in Find a course.

Government loans

If you are eligible for HECS, FEE or SA-HELP, you need to reapply to access these loan schemes when transferring courses.

Scholarship holders

If you're on a scholarship, you should first check with the Scholarships Unit whether a transfer will affect your eligibility.

International students

If you want to transfer to a campus in Australia, you may need to apply for a student visa. See visa requirements. International students on a student visa, must enrol in a full-time study load (24 credit points per semester). For more information, see study load.

When transferring your course, you will receive an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) and an International Student Course Agreement (or an update if you have an existing agreement).

Related links

Get help

Send us a question

We aim to respond to you by email within one business day.

Visit us today

Visit us at Monash Connect on your campus

We're open 9am to 5pm (AEDT) Monday - Friday

Call us

We're available Monday to Friday: 9am–5pm

+61 3 9902 6011