You can apply for an internal transfer if you want to transfer:
- from one Monash coursework degree to another, and/or
- to a different Monash campus.
You can only transfer between the same course type (e.g. from one bachelor degree to another bachelor degree) and only if you haven't completed your course. If you are completing your current course and wish to enrol in another, you will need to apply as instructed in Find a course.
Masters by research or doctoral degree students should contact their faculty or Graduate Research about transfers.
Transferring course or campus is part of a competitive selection process. This means that you will be competing with other students for a place in the course.
The minimum eligibility requirements for a course transfer are:
- being a current Monash student (you must maintain your enrolment)
- meeting the prerequisites for the new course. See the course entry in Find a course
- performing at an appropriate level in your current course
- successful completion of at least 12 credit points of a Monash University course.
The actual requirements for transfer may be higher. These are set by the faculty managing the course, including the number of completed credit points required to be considered for a transfer. Check the faculty information below before applying for a transfer:
- Art Design and Architecture
- Business and Economics
- Information Technology
- Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
- Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Credit for previous studies
If successful, you may be eligible for credit. Credit is awarded only if your previous studies are relevant to the new course.
Before submitting an application, you should consult with the faculty managing the course for advice on prerequisites, credit transfer, unit selection, course requirements and progression.
To transfer into an undergraduate course offered by the Faculty of Business and Economics (at an Australian campus):
Use the Engineering online course transfer application to transfer into an Engineering course.
To transfer into an undergraduate course offered by the Faculty of Science (at an Australian campus):
- check the list of Science courses on offer
- then submit an online application to the Science faculty.
Science courses - transferring from Malaysia
To transfer to a Science course from Monash University Malaysia follow the instructions for an internal course transfer from Monash Malaysia to Clayton campus.
- Submit an internal course transfer application (pdf 76kb) to the faculty managing the course. Do this before completing your current course.
- Ensure you remain enrolled in your current course while waiting for the outcome of your application.
When to apply
Check the opening dates for applications with the faculty who manages the course you're applying for.
Closing dates for all courses in Australia
- Semester one: 17 October (of the previous year)
- Semester two: 12 June
Malaysia and South Africa students
Students applying to transfer to Australia from the Malaysia campus and Monash South Africa, may have different application closing dates. Check with the faculty you're applying to.
Outcomes and notification
The faculty will notify you of the outcome of your application.
If your application is successful, you will receive notification:
- on how to accept the offer and enrol
- of any approved credit transfer (if applicable)
- that by accepting an offer of course transfer, you grant permission to be discontinued from your current course by the course managing faculty.
If you transfer campuses but remain in the same course, your fees will be charged at the continuing rate, relevant to the year you commenced the course.
Transferring into a different course (with or without changing campuses) means you are considered a new (commencing) student. Your fees will be charged at the commencing rate based on your new course start date. For fee amounts, see the course entry in Find a course.
If you are eligible for HECS, FEE or SA-HELP, you need to reapply to access these loan schemes when transferring courses.
If you're on a scholarship, you should first check with the Scholarships Unit whether a transfer will affect your eligibility.
If you want to transfer to a campus in Australia, you may need to apply for a student visa. See visa requirements. International students on a student visa, must enrol in a full-time study load (24 credit points per semester). For more information, see study load.
When transferring your course, you will receive an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) and an International Student Course Agreement (or an update if you have an existing agreement).