Alternate exit award for Master of Teaching course
Students currently enrolled in a Master of Teaching (Primary) or Master of Teaching (Secondary) may apply for an alternate exit award (Graduate Diploma of Teaching) after successful completion of all required core units and professional placement requirements. This alternate exit award qualifies students to apply for provisional registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT).
From 2015, students commencing the Master of Teaching courses will no longer have an alternate exit award option.
As this alternate exit award is now being phased out, it is only applicable to the student cohorts included below. There is no alternate exit award for the Master of Teaching (Early Years).
Students who can take the alternate exit and continue on with the Master of Teaching without discontinuing:
- All Master of Teaching students (except Early Years) who commenced in 2013 or earlier
- Berwick Master of Teaching (Secondary) accelerated students who commenced in 2014
Students who can take the alternate exit award but must discontinue their Master of Teaching course:
- All Master of Teaching students who commenced in 2014 (except Early Years and Berwick Master of Teaching (Secondary) accelerated).
Requesting an alternate exit
To request an alternate exit award write to the Faculty of Education Admissions and Student Services team by using the ‘Ask a Question' tab in Ask.Monash. This request can only be processed once you have met the requirements of the alternate exit award.
Returning to complete Master of Teaching course
Students who have discontinued their Master of Teaching course leaving with the Graduate Diploma of Teaching award and who wish to return to complete the Masters, will need to:
- apply for readmission to the course no earlier than six months after discontinuing the Masters; and
- no later than 10 years after discontinuing.
Applications will be made directly to the Faculty of Education, Monash University for readmission. Applications for readmission will be assessed after VTAC admissions have been completed; a CSP place cannot be guaranteed.