How to apply for an Honours year
Semester 1 2017 applications are now open and will close on Friday 3 February 2017.
There is no mid-year intake.
Here is how to apply for a Bachelor of Education (Honours) - a 1-year pathway to research program, course code D3701.
Step 1 - Identify a field of study for your thesis
You are not expected to enter your Honours study with a fully conceptualised question for research. Identifying a topic and a particular research question is a process that evolves after you begin your studies. However, you should have some idea of the area of focus you wish to investigate through your research.
To help you with your project topic, you can explore:
- Research projects and grants currently underway in the faculty
- Research groups of academics with similar research interests
Step 2 - Choose a supervisor
In selecting a supervisor you should consider relevance to the topic that you wish to research as well as choosing a supervisor with whom you will be able to develop a productive working relationship.
When you have found a suitable staff member that you believe could supervise your research project, you should contact them (preferably via email) and give a short synopsis of your intended research project. If a staff member has agreed to supervise your research project, please ensure that a copy of the email confirmation is attached as part of your online application.
Can't find a supervisor?
You can still submit your application (see step 3 below), and at the same time request assistance via ask.monash to help you find a supervisor (make sure you state your applicant details).
Step 3 - Submit online application
Apply directly to Monash by the application due date stated at the top of the page.
Include the following documentation in support of your application:
- a research proposal (approximately 200 words), which is a brief outline of the proposed field of study you intend to pursue,
- academic transcripts,
- proof of residency or Australian citizenship,
- proof of meeting the Faculty English Language Requirements,
- a copy of the email confirmation from your chosen supervisor (if you don't have a supervisor - request help in finding one via ask.monash),
- any other relevant documentation.