If your application for special consideration is successful, you may be granted a deferred exam or alternative assessment task.
A deferred exam is an exam postponed to a later date. These are held during the official deferred exam period, unless your faculty emails your Monash account with an alternative time, giving five University working days' notice.
If you are granted a deferred exam, your unit grade will be DEF (deferred exam) in the Web Enrolment System (WES). It is your responsibility to be available to sit a deferred exam at the scheduled time.
For details on eligibility and how to apply, see special consideration.
How this affects your results
Until you complete your deferred exam or supplementary exam/assessment, you will have an incomplete result. An incomplete result does not satisfy unit prerequisites. This could prevent you from enrolling in some units. Please check your enrolment carefully and consult your faculty.
Once you complete a deferred exam or final assessment, the result of that assessment will be final.
Venues for deferred and supplementary exams
|South Africa||Monash South Africa|
You may be able to sit your deferred exam at an overseas venue. For details, see sitting your deferred exam overseas.
Rescheduling a deferred final exam or assessment
Once you have been granted a deferred exam or assessment, no further deferral of the exam is possible, unless the circumstances are exceptional. The conditions for rescheduling are strict and not guaranteed. An application will only be considered if:
- you have an ongoing disability, which you have registered with Monash Disability Support Services
- the circumstances, for which you were granted a deferred exam or assessment, are unresolved.
If you believe you meet one of the criteria above, you will need to:
- apply in writing within two working days of the day or your deferred final assessment task
- provide evidence of your circumstances with supporting documents
- submit your application to the faculty teaching the unit.
The faculty teaching the unit may arrange a meeting with you to consider your application. You can take a support person to that meeting. The rescheduled exam or assessment task must occur within 12 months of the end of the original exam period.
- Supplementary exams and assessment
- Deferred and supplementary exam dates
- Special consideration
- On-campus students sitting a deferred exam overseas
- Failing a unit