3.9 Milestones - Supporting and Monitoring Enrolment
Milestones play an important role in a student's graduate research training. They are not only a mechanism for progress management; they are also a research development opportunity which facilitates the student's acquisition of the necessary skills to present their research to their academic peers.
Milestones are designed to support and facilitate a student's progress towards their thesis submission date, providing them with an opportunity to receive structured feedback on their progress to date. Each milestone's requirements are defined by the student's stage of research and may include requirements specific to their discipline.
- All students (unless exempt from doing so under the Procedures) who are commencing their course of study from 1 January 2015 are required to undertake Confirmation, a Progress Review and a Final Review milestone.
- Students who enrolled in their course of study on or before 31 December 2014 and who are undertaking a Mid Candidature Review and/or Pre-Submission Seminar on or after 1 January 2015 are required to meet requirements as per the Graduate Research Progress Management Procedures.
- Students who have received, prior to 1 January 2015, an official Monash Graduate Education / MIGR notification of their upcoming confirmation milestone are required to undertake the confirmation milestone as per the Candidature Progress Management - Confirmation & Non-Confirmation Procedures. Any subsequent milestones will be conducted in line with the Graduate Research Progress Management Procedures.
- Students may be required to complete program requirements prior to each milestone. See also Appendix J for more information.
* From 28 May 2014, students will no longer be admitted into unsupervised PhD or MD (unsupervised) study programs.