2.2 English language proficiency (ELP)
Sound English language skills are required for academic programs at Monash University. Full documentary evidence in support of English Language Proficiency (ELP) must be submitted with applications for admission and scholarship. Monash University reserves the right to seek further documentary evidence of ELP.
If an applicant's first language is not English (i.e. originate from a country where English is not the official primary language), the ELP must be satisfied in at least one of the following ways:
2.2.1 Language of Instruction
Studies must be completed within the five-year period prior to application, with the exception of the faculties of Arts and Law, where studies must be completed within the two-year period prior to application.
Monash University approved English language countries
- Successful completion of a course of tertiary studies, and
- of at least two years' duration, and
- conducted entirely in English, and
- involving formal assessment of written work, and
- in any of the following Monash University approved English language countries*:
Antigua + Barbuda
*Applicants from other countries may be considered on the basis where English is one of two (or more) official languages of the country. The decision will be made by the Graduate Research Committee during the assessment process and will be final.
Monash University's Malaysia or South Africa campus
- Successful completion of a course of tertiary study of at least two years' duration at Monash University's Malaysia or South Africa campus, or an equivalent Malaysian tertiary education campus recognised by Monash University.
2.2.2 English Test
Tests that are taken more than two years prior to enrolment will not be accepted.
Table 1: Overview of ELP admission requirements
2.2.3 Monash English Bridging (MEB) Program
Applicants may complete the Monash English Bridging Program.
Note: The faculties of Arts and Law do not accept applicants via this pathway.
Art, Design & Architecture
Business & Economics
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences (excluding Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine)
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine
Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Monash University Accident Research Centre
Monash Sustainable Development Institute