2.8 Admission and commencement

2.8 Admission and commencement

2.8.1 Initial enrolment

Offers of doctoral enrolment are made by Monash Graduate Education on behalf of the Graduate Research Committee (GRC). Intending internal students are required to come to Monash Graduate Education on Clayton campus to complete the enrolment procedures. Intending internal students who are not able to report to Clayton campus to enrol should contact Monash Graduate Education to make alternative arrangements (see Chapter 11 for contact details). Enrolment information will be forwarded to external applicants (those who will pursue their research at institutions or locations outside their approved campus of enrolment), who will be enrolled off-campus.

Note: Students will be responsible for booking into any activities required as part of program requirements.

Following enrolment, students will be issued with a student identity card, which will include their student number and brief details of enrolment. The student card is required for use in the library and for other University services, including 24-hour access to the Graduate Research Centre.
Prospective students are expected to enrol at a time prior to the proposed commencement of enrolment. The following enrolment procedures apply:

  • PhD students enrol at Monash Graduate Education, following consultation with their supervisor
  • DPH and DPsych students enrol at the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences research office
  • SJD students enrol at the Faculty of Law research office.

Note that a separate registration process applies to higher doctorate students.

2.8.2 Deferring commencement

Any application for a deferment of the offer of enrolment must be submitted in writing to Monash Graduate Education. Deferment, if approved, will be for a maximum of one year only.

Offers of enrolment lapse six months after the date of the initial offer if the prospective student does not enrol and/or has not sought and been granted a deferment.

2.8.3 Commencement date of enrolment

The starting date for enrolment will be as follows:

  • for applicants transferring enrolment from a research master's to PhD: the date of commencement of master's enrolment; or
  • for international students applying from overseas: the date of enrolment; or
  • for Australian citizens and permanent residents: the date recommended by the head of department or academic unit, subject to faculty and GRC approval; or
  • for applicants transferring enrolment from another institution: a new commencement date of research at Monash University, but the total period of enrolment available will be negotiated.

print version