The 2016 Competition
The dates for the 2016 competition are:
- First round entries close*
- Second round entries close*
- Moot problem is released.
- 1st Round: 12:30 PM
- 2nd Round: 5:30 PM
- Quarter Finals:12:30 PM
- Semi Finals: 5:30 PM
- Grand Final: 5:30 PM
The venue for all competition rounds will be confirmed.
*If the maximum number of teams is not reached by July 1, universities both from Victoria and Interstate may enter as many teams as they like. The closing date for this will be August 5.
How are the teams chosen?
Each law school is responsible for choosing and organising its team/s.
Each team should ideally have three members but two is acceptable if no other students are interested in participating.
Competitors must be in the equivalent of at least third year of a combined law degree or any year of a JD degree, but must not have completed their degree.
It is preferable that competitors have completed some studies in human rights law.
How many teams can enter
There is a maximum capacity of 16 teams. Entry is first in, best dressed.
Each Victorian Law School is permitted to enter up to two teams, other Australian Law Schools can enter one team.
Additional teams may be entered only with the prior permission of the Castan Centre.
The 2016 delegates will be confirmed closer to the competition. In the meantime, if you want to discuss the moot with someone at your university, the 205 delegates may be able to help. They are:
- Deakin University: Dan Meagher, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monash University: Rowena Cantley-Smith, email@example.com (note: Monash teams are selected through the LAW4805 - Mooting and advocacy competition)
- RMIT: Paul Melican, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melbourne University: Rachel, email@example.com
- LaTrobe University: Marlee Viero, firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of South Australia: Andrew Senyard, email@example.com
- Sydney University: Elizabeth Pearson and Julian Zoller, firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Queensland: Genevieve Murray, email@example.com
- Australian National University, Simon Rice, firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Western Sydney, Emma Nichelsen, email@example.com
- University of Tasmania, Olga Nelson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of New South Wales, Paul Mersiades email@example.com
In the meantime please direct any enquiries to Caitlin McInnis on 03 9905 3318 or email firstname.lastname@example.org