Single unit study

What single units can I take?

Single units are an alternative to completing an entire postgraduate degree and are open to graduates of any discipline who wish to:

  • gain an understanding of a particular area of law
  • build on existing legal knowledge
  • gauge their interest in a specific legal area with a view to pursuing further study
  • experience current, real life challenges faced by legal professionals
  • gain practical and transferable skills that can be used across a range of professions

Single units are taken outside an award course. That is, you are not enrolled in a degree program and will not receive an award at the completion of study. A maximum of four units can be taken per semester.

What single units can I take?

Monash Law School offers a wide range of single units from the following specialised areas; legal practice, commercial law, human rights law, intellectual property and communications law, workplace and employment law, international development, dispute resolution, government law and regulatory practice and regulatory studies.

View a list of our current postgraduate single unit courses.

Note: LAW5082 Masters research and LAW5084 and LAW5083 Minor thesis units are not available as single unit enrolments.

View a list of our 2017 postgraduate unit and class times from our 2017 Timetable.

How much does a single unit cost?

Single units are offered on a full-fee basis and students can complete units with or without assessment.

Students who complete assessment may seek credit for that unit towards a law graduate diploma or master degree.

The fees for 2017 are:

  • single unit (assessed) $3,838
  • single unit (non-assessed) $2,936

How do I apply for single units?

You will need to submit your application online approximately one month before the relevant unit begins to ensure a place.

International students are not usually eligible to undertake single unit enrolments due to visa restrictions.

Documents to submit:

  • an original or original certified copy of your academic transcripts and evidence of completion
  • a CV
  • original certified copy  of your citizenship status/residency and visa subclass number (where applicable)
  • original or original certified true copy of your VLAB assessment letter (where applicable)