Public Interest Law Careers Guide - Human Rights Law Centre
Field of Law
Stage of Career
Description of Organisation
The Human Rights Law Centre is dedicated to promoting and protecting human rights in Australia and beyond. They do this through a strategic combination of evidence-based advocacy, research, litigation and education.
Over the last six years, the HRLC has established constitutional protection of the right to vote, improved access to healthcare for prisoners, provided human rights training to over 15,000 people and held Australia to account for its human rights obligations on the international stage.
Their work over the next five years will focus on:
- strengthening legal recognition and protection of human rights
- reforming anti-discrimination laws
- positive engagement with the UN
- advocating for human rights protections in detention
- promoting human rights through Australian foreign policy
- partnering with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations to implement the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- ensuring a human rights-based approach to the police use of force and the investigation of police-related deaths
- advocating a human rights-based approach to preventing and responding to violence against women.
Number of legal positions within organisation: 10
Information for secondary schools
Do you host school trips or send speakers to schools?
Information for university students/graduates
What sort of volunteer/internship opportunities are available?
We are only able to take on a very limited number of volunteers due to capacity and office space issues.
Information for practising lawyers
What are you looking for in a permanent employee?
- Legal qualification
- A demonstrated commitment to human rights
What prior work is viewed favourably?
Experience working in legal practice, community organisations and/or government
On average, how many positions become available per year?
How many applications do you receive for these?
Where do you advertise your positions?
On our website, monthly bulletin and via social media
Do you use a recruitment agency?