These principles outline the general conditions for the sponsorship of postgraduate students. This is an introductory guide only. A formal agreement is always reached by negotiation.
You can help support the research at MIRI and gain valuable research outcomes for your own organisation by sponsoring a PhD student.
The PhD program at MIRI attracts and nurtures the next generation of leaders in the field of injury prevention. Under the guidance of expert researchers, these students are able to make a major contribution to the Australian and international knowledge base and research capability, and provide social benefits in the form of injury reduction measures for Australians.
- supervision and expert advice in a stimulating academic /research environment
- facilities such as accommodation, computing equipment, library services, photocopiers, phones, fax, and internet services
- a promise that the sponsor will remain informed and involved throughout, within the constraint that the student's work must be independent in its design and execution.
As a corporate sponsor, you are expected to provide an annual stipend for the student - typically for 3.5 years - and an amount for related project costs. This totals approximately $100,000, plus GST, over the 3.5 years. You can pay at the start of the contract or according to an arranged schedule on invoice.
As a sponsor, you can:
- be involved in determining the general area of the research
- assist in selecting the student, according to Monash regulations, and sit in on assessments
- nominate an ‘associate supervisor', to provide an effective link between the company and MIRI.
Depending on the research topic, it may be appropriate for the student to spend time using corporate resources.
Monash usually holds project intellectual property. Background intellectual property is retained by Monash or the sponsor, as originally owned. Commercial exploitation of intellectual property can be negotiated. The student holds copyright of the thesis, and publications relating to the work. Variations based on commercial confidentiality considerations can also be negotiated.
Find out more
Direct further inquiries to:
Monash Injury Research Institute
Phone: +61 3 9905 4372
Fax: +61 3 9905 4363