30 April - 2 July 2016
Artists: Lawrence Abu Hamdan, Allora & Calzadilla, Karen Black, Gunter Christmann, Jin Chul Kyu, Guan Wei, Shilpa Gupta, Khaled Hourani, Raafat Ishak, Isaac Julien, Sonia Leber & David Chesworth, Kai Löffelbein, Ricky Maynard, Carlos Motta, Tony Schwensen, Amy Spiers & Catherine Ryan, Danae Stratou, and Judy Watson
Curator: Francis E. Parker
Borders, barriers and walls delineate this group exhibition of Australian and international artists. It reflects on how these contested and complex forms shape the world, producing situations of separation, isolation or thwarted passage across the globe. Whether they be physical constructions, psychological constructs or natural defences, the exhibition considers the forces by which these divides are either upheld or breached. Borders, Barriers, Walls features more than thirty artworks ranging from video installation, painting, photography and sculpture. The exhibition includes a new commission by local artists Amy Spiers and Catherine Ryan.
The exhibition will be accompanied by a catalogue featuring commissioned essays by Professor Gillian Triggs, President of the Australian Human Rights Commission, and Yanis Varoufakis, founding member of the Democracy in Europe Movement 2025 and former Greek finance minister, along with a curatorial overview by Francis E. Parker.
The 96 pp exhibition catalogue features commissioned essays by Professor Gillian Triggs, President of the Australian Human Rights Commission, and Yanis Varoufakis, founding member of the Democracy in Europe Movement 2025 and former Greek finance minister, along with a curatorial overview.
For more information, please visit our online bookshop...
- Artist and thinkers talk: Karen Black - Tuesday 3 May
- The Least of the Doorkeepers (It is Possible but Not at the Moment) performance - Wednesday 4 May
- Judy Watson Lecture: presented by Monash Art Design & Architecture - Wednesday 4 May
- Borders, Barriers, Walls: reading group - Wednesday 11 May and Wednesday 25 May
- Borders, Barriers, Walls: panel discussion - Wednesday 18 May
- Sound Spaces: John Chantler with guest Andrew Tuttle - Saturday 18 June
- Boiler Room Lecture: Felicity D. Scott - Wednesday 29 June