Skip to content

What Happens If Someone Complains To Monash Or If Monash University Breaches The Privacy Laws

Complaints or Concerns

  • If an individual believes that Monash University has breached their privacy or is concerned about the potential for certain policies or procedures to do so, they may contact the relevant Privacy Co-ordinator within their Faculty or Division or the Monash University Privacy Officer to speak about their concerns.
  • If they would like the matter investigated, they are required to put their complaint into writing.
  • The matter will be investigated and a response to the complaint provided by Monash University.

If the individual is unhappy with Monash's response they may take their complaint to either of the following organisations:

Victorian Privacy Commissioner

Telephone: +61 3 8619 8719
Facsimile: +61 3 8619 8700

Victorian Health Services Commissioner

Telephone: +61 3 8601 5200
Facsimile: +61 3 8601 5219

The relevant commissioners will conciliate the matter and attempt to resolve the issues between the parties.

If the relevant Commissioner cannot resolve the matter, the complainant may make a claim with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). VCAT has the jurisdiction to award a variety of remedies.

Privacy Commissioner Powers

  • The Privacy Commissioner may serve a compliance note on an organisation if it appears that the organisation has breached the privacy laws. The compliance notice requires the organisation to take specified action within a period of time specified. If an organisation does not comply with a compliance notice, it may receive penalties of up to $300,000.
  • The Privacy Commissioner may also audit the university for compliance with the laws