The media specialisation provides a strong, grounded understanding of contemporary media. You will gain in-depth knowledge of media studies as a discipline and develop skills in media analysis that have applications across a wide range of professional contexts - from social media strategy in organisations to media management and communication and media policy. You will develop an understanding of the transition from 'broadcast' to 'networked' media systems and of the social, economic and political disruptions this transition has brought around the world. The specialisation introduces principles for making critical and ethical judgments relevant to professional practice in the new media environment. It offers an international approach, providing opportunities to locate yourself as a responsible global citizen.
This area of study entry applies to students commencing this course in 2018 and should be read in conjunction with the relevant course entry in the Handbook.
Any units listed for this area of study relate only to the 'Requirements' outlined in the component of any bachelors double degrees.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Media communicationMedia communication (https://arts.monash.edu/bachelor-of-media-communication/)
Two level 1 gateway units (12 points):
One level 2 cornerstone unit (6 points) chosen from:
- ATS2436 New media: From the telegraph to Twitter
- ATS2439 Youth media: Understanding media research
- ATS2440 The public sphere
One level 3 capstone unit (6 points) chosen from:
Six units (36 points) chosen from:
- the remaining cornerstone, capstone unit, media practice labs or from the elective list below
Media elective list
- ATS2250 Communications and cultures in the global era
- ATS2280 Video games: Industry and culture
- ATS2324 Climate change communication
- ATS2538 Film and television institutions
- ATS2784 News and power
- ATS3093 Specialist topic in media, film and journalism
- ATS3215 Global creative cities
- ATS3221 Music, media, culture
- ATS3445 Communications ethics, policy and law
- ATS3760 Global communications
- ATS3897 Borderless media in East Asia
- ATS3917 Representing war: Censorship, propaganda and art
Successful completion of this specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- A2002 Bachelor of Media Communication
Students in other single bachelor's degrees are not eligible to complete this specialisation.
Successful completion of this specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the Bachelor of Media Communication component in the following double degrees: