6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
12 credit points at first year level in Art history and theory, or Theory of Art and Design, Visual Culture or permission from Unit Coordinator.
ATS2740, ATS3740, TAD2740, TAD3740,
This unit was formerly coded TAD2740
Australian Art offers a broad historical survey of Australian art from European colonisation to the present. Topics examined will be the First Fleet artists, the work of John Glover, the Heidelberg School, Australian modernism, post-War Australian landscape, the work of Albert Namatjira and Margaret Preston and the work of a number of contemporary Australian artists, including Gordon Bennett and Tracey Moffatt. The course will ask questions concerning the "Australianness" of Australian art and whether we can write a new history of Australian art appropriate to contemporary conditions.
Upon completion of this unit students will be able to:
- identify a range of critical perspectives onto the history of Australian art;
- show a broad familiarity with the major artists in the history of Australian art;
- discuss a number of contemporary Australian artists and the methodological questions involved in the writing of Australian art history today;
- demonstrate an ability to respond thoughtfully and critically to works of art in the student's own words.
Review of art exhibition 1,000 words (20%)
Essay 2,000 words (40%)
Slide test (40%)
12 Hours per week including; 3 contact hours and 9 hours independent study or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information