12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
The unit addresses specific translation issues in various professional and social settings which will be approached firstly, through theoretical discussion in relation to context and cognitive environment, followed by the practical translation of authentic texts, which illustrate the issues involved. It complementsApplied Translation, adopting a similar approach to learning and assessment, but exploring different genres and professional contexts.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- identify and discuss theoretical and methodological issues related to the translation of different professional discourses;
- utilise problem-solving strategies to translate various textual genres and linguistic registers;
- justify their translation strategies using theoretical insights and analysis of the translation brief and purpose;
- demonstrate an awareness of their role as a translator and a professional approach to undertaking translation tasks.
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information