6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
Must be enrolled in an Arts Masters program or Master of Environment and Sustainability.
- This is an Arts enrichment unitArts enrichment unit (https://www.monash.edu/pubs/2018handbooks/aos/arts-enrichment-units/index.html).
The unit is a practical introduction to the expectations and learning approaches you will encounter in studying at masters level in Arts at Monash. Building on arts masters skills and your previous study experiences, we will develop your research and academic writing skills. As well as developing learning approaches to knowledge and inquiry relevant to your masters coursework degree. Through field trips and intensive class experiences we will also seek to develop productive networks among masters students that will enhance your learning throughout the course.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- read and analyse academic publications;
- communicate, reflect upon and share understanding of advanced academic skills in written and oral form;
- research and write extended responses to critical questions at Masters level;
- understand and develop strategies for preparation and participation in classes, seminars and independent learning activities at a postgraduate level;
- access academic databases and other resources provided by Monash Library.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information