12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Term 3 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
Gender perspectives around issues of conflict and security are essential to understanding the changing dynamics of international politics and development. Drawing upon feminist theorising in international relations, security studies and global political economy, this course unit shall be useful for students from a variety of disciplines interested in gender policy work. Students will undertake a thorough gendered critique of the theory and practice across the areas of conflict and security. Through a range of learning activities, students will examine competing frameworks and alternative possibilities for analysis and action in the work of development and governance agencies associated with security and gender mainstreaming.
Upon completion of this unit, students will have:
- An ability to critically engage in key debates framing global politics and international relations
- An ability to work in and adapt to a variety of different cultural and professional environments
- An ability to display intricate knowledge of a variety of value and ethical systems, and conduct themselves professionally in all working environments
- An ability to be innovators in their chosen field
- An ability to apply the highest standard of analytical and critical skills
- An ability to design and manage large and focused research projects
- An ability to communicate succinctly, directly, and highly effectively
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information