12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
and plus 24 credit points from the Master of Communication and Media studies elective list.
The unit is only available online with permission of the program director.
The unit is undertaken in the final semester of the Master of Communications and Media Studies. It challenges students to use skills developed throughout the degree to address a 'real world' problem for a client organisation. Students work in groups on a report and recommendations, responding to a brief set by the unit coordinator with reference to external industry partners. Students are encouraged to consider the research report not only as a formal requirement for the degree, but also as contributing to a portfolio of professional development where they can demonstrate effective project management, research, leadership and teamwork skills.
On successful completion of the unit, students will be able to
- apply research skills to 'real world' problems in communications and media;
- design and manage a research project;
- negotiate and manage client relationships;
- reflect on ethical questions in conducting research;
- communicate research findings; and
- work effectively in teams.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 288 hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information