12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
The unit is the compulsory unit in Part A of the Master of International Relations. It is designed for incoming students who do not have a cognate degree. The goal is to acquaint students with the key authors and readings in international relations, as well as provide them experience in the main forms of writing in the field.
Upon completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- identify and categorize the foundational authors in international relations;
- analyse and critique the key arguments in international relations;
- identify and categorize the main types of writing outputs in international relations;
- discuss ideas and arguments with peers and lecturers in a public setting;
- recognise professional behaviour in international relations scholarship.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information