6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
ATS1191 is aimed at students with no previous experience of the Spanish language. It provides an integrated, innovative and communicatively oriented Spanish course which develops all-round competence in the basic structures of the language. In addition, students are introduced to key aspects of Spanish and Latin American cultures and societies.
On completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- Converse in Spanish for 5 to 10 minutes about present and future activities.
- Use the following tenses: the present habitual, the present progressive and the informal future.
- Write compositions of up to 100 words in Spanish, with the help of a Spanish-English dictionary and a reference grammar.
- Engage in conversations and discussions in Spanish, about themselves, their family and friends
- Read and comprehend texts in Spanish of up to 500 words;
- Demonstrate an understanding of key aspects of Hispanic cultures and societies.
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information