6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
The unit consists of two sections: Introductory level 1 language and culture.
Language: The unit provides an introduction to the basic language skills - listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Culture: An overview of contemporary Italian social and political history and culture with a focus on national identity and deconstruction of myths and stereotypes.
Unit is specifically designed for those students who have little or no knowledge of the language.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- listen, speak, read and write basic Italian with reference to present, past and future events in a range of everyday situations;
- read authentic texts for gist or for specific information;
- identify the basic structural aspects of Italian;
- recognise and utilise language learning and communication strategies;
- critically analyse issues relating to Italy's collective national imagination.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information