6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Twelve credit points of first-year Arts units. It is highly recommended that students only take this unit after they have completed two gateway units in Sociology or Behavioural studies.
, AZA2720, ATS3720
This unit explores the social dynamics of youth experience in contemporary society. Topics covered include: youth cultures and styles, globalisation and consumption, changing transitions to adulthood, media and internet engagement, citizenship and social change, work and leisure.
By the completion of this unit students should be able to:
- Articulate a good understanding of the sociological imagination or perspective on youth issues;
- Analyse and evaluate competing interpretations of youth issues;
- Describe historical and contemporary trends in the field of youth sociology;
- Develop and present arguments about young people and social change.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information