6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Twelve credit points of first-year Arts units.
This unit provides students with a fundamental understanding of what English as an international language (EIL) is, and allows students to conduct a small-scale project on topics of their interest in the area of English as an International Language. Students will also have the opportunity to learn and critique current issues and research in English as an International Language. This unit provides students with relevant knowledge and skills in doing EIL research related activities and an advanced understanding of how English operates as an international language in multilingual and multicultural contexts.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- define and describe English as an International Language (EIL);
- discuss and critique current issues and research in English as an International Language;
- analyse how EIL operates in multilingual and multicultural contexts;
- utilise research skills to develop a proposal for, and undertake, a small-scale English and an International Language project.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information