6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit provides students with an introduction to conducting research in Spanish and Latin American Studies. This unit will enable students to read critically and record responses to readings; to synthesise and evaluate diverse material on a single topic; to search databases for articles and books relevant to their research area; to present and distinguish the ideas of others according to academic conventions.
At the completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- interpret and discuss a range of Spanish and Latin American cultural products and political discourses;
- have an understanding of contemporary critical theories and their application to Spanish and Latin American contexts;
- have a greater understanding of Spanish and Latin American cultures and societies;
- develop sophisticated oral and written expression in Spanish.
Within semester assessment: 70%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information