6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (Evening)
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Students must be enrolled in course B5001, B6001, B6003, B6004, B6005 or B6015.
Topics include investment markets and investment strategies; measuring investment return and risk; capital asset pricing model; arbitrage pricing theory; taxation; shares and share analysis; valuation; financial futures markets; real estate; portfolio management; asset allocation; monitoring.
The learning goals associated with this unit are:
- evaluate financial market information to measure investment risk and return, and be able to incorporate such evaluation in fundamental and technical analysis in the asset valuation process
- assess portfolio management performance
- understand the relevance of behavioural finance, including an awareness of financial history as it relates to behavioural finance
- demonstrate effective interpersonal communication skills and develop a team orientated approach to work effectively as a team member to produce a professional quality business document solving portfolio investment objectives
- demonstrate in an individual summative assessment task the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the components of an investment portfolio and their optimal combination as discussed throughout the unit.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Examination: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information