6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (Evening)
Students must be enrolled in course B6007.
AFX9590, ACM5959, BFF5959,,
This unit provides an introduction to terminology, concepts and techniques used in accounting and finance. Important areas to be discussed include understanding financial statements, basic analysis of financial statements, working capital management, the framework of capital budgeting, and time value of money. International issues in accounting will also be examined. The emphasis will be on decision making and value creation in a global environment.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- develop an understanding of the nature and roles of accounting and finance in managing in a global environment
- explore the process of value management in a global world
- develop competencies and computational skills required to prepare and evaluate the strategies and tactics associated with value creation
- develop an appreciation for the relevance of theory and its linkage with practice
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills to individual and/or group activities dealing with principles of accounting and finance and demonstrate in an individual summative assessment task the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the topics covered in the unit.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information