12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 to First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Enrolment in an approved Honours or Postgraduate Diploma in the discipline of Medicinal chemistry
This unit provides advanced instruction in quantitative methods, thesis writing and current topics to students enrolled in the honours program in medicinal chemistry. Students will gain an understanding of advanced experimental design, data analysis and scientific writing that will assist them in completing their honours thesis. Further classes and coursework relating to current topics in medicinal chemistry will assist students in critical analysis of journal articles, providing further support for their academic development in research science.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Develop a realistic experimental plan, including a timeline, for the research project undertaken in ;
- Appreciate and outline the key principals in Intellectual Property as it relates to the discipline and the research project;
- Use and critically evaluate the extant OHS software;
- Efficiently and competently use appropriate bibliographic software (eg. EndNote);
- Explain the operation of, and where relevant and appropriate, competently use, the equipment discussed in the Workshops component of this course;
- Demonstrate an appropriate high level of understanding of the material presented in the selected lecture modules - this understanding is demonstrated through the relevant assessment tasks.
Statistics coursework: 30%
One to three hours of lectures and/or tutorials per week over 12 weeks
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study