6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
The unit enables students to understand, analyse, specify, design and test embedded systems in terms of the hardware architecture, distributed systems and the software development that deploys a real-time kernel and the migration of software to hardware. The design, analysis and implementation of a real-time kernel will be studied that includes scheduling policies, process creation and management, inter-process communication, efficient handling of I/O and distributed processor implementation issues. Students will be involved in a design project that involves the hardware and real-time system design of an embedded system with hard deadlines using an FPGA development system.
- To understand the development process for embedded systems from specification, simulation, implementation and testing
- To gain an appreciation of the effectiveness and properties of a real-time kernel in the software development process
- To gain a knowledge and understanding of the properties of different scheduling policies and their implementation in a real-time system
- To understand the process of migration of a software definition to a hardware implementation as a means to accelerate an embedded system design
- To understand the complexities and design approaches necessary in a distributed real-time embedded system.
Continuous assessment: 40% + Examination: (2 hours) 60%.
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component (assignments, tests, mid-semester exams, laboratory reports) and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
2 hours lectures, 3 hours laboratory and practice classes and 7 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information