6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
ECF2931, ECG2731,, , PMM2020
Students will deepen their knowledge of the differing views of the firm. Topics include: the firm within a capitalist economic system; the macroeconomic constraints on the firm; the market structural constraints on the firm; differing perspectives of the firm - the conventional economic, technological view, the accounting, management and marketing views, the recent transaction costs and new classical view; how these different areas explain current issues such as downsizing and electronic commerce.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- understand and recognise the various processes involved in investment decision making;
- understand and explain the relevant factors behind risk analysis and risk management;
- understand and analyse firm pricing strategies;
- recognise and evaluate the various theories of the organisation known as the firm and the role of managers in such organisations; and develop an understanding of strategic games in the use of business applications.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information