0 points, SCA Band 1, 0.000 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 to First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Enrolment in D6006 MProfCouns
The second offering runs from 24/07/2017 to 25/05/2018
This unit is a field placement that develops a range of professional skills and acquaints students with issues of professional ethics and practice in counselling. Students are required to complete 504 placement hours in total, of which 192 hours are 'contact' hours (e.g. face-to-face counselling) and 312 hours are 'non-contact' (e.g. observation). Students are also required to participate in weekly online discussion groups and postings throughout the duration of the placement.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- develop competency and advanced knowledge and skills in professional practice
- gain experience in the implementation of ethical principles in field practice
- complete a professional log book and case notes
- make appropriate specialist and agency referrals
- gain knowledge of local community and human services
- understand legal and ethical principles relevant to counselling.
192 hours of client contact; 312 non-contact hours
This unit is graded pass grade only (PGO).
Students must achieve a pass for the following two evaluations
- Field supervisor evaluation of placement performance - pass/fail
- University supervisor evaluation of log book - pass/fail
300 hours of scheduled placement activities during the semester
See also Unit timetable information