6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit builds upon FIT1041 andor FIT2084 and allows students to conduct an independent research project. Students will be assigned to one of the Faculty of Information Technology's research groups, an academic supervisor and a research topic. Students may work on their project individually or in groups, as determined by their supervisor. During the semester, the student will be required to participate in research group events including seminars and presentations.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- participate as a member of a research group;
- demonstrate how to conduct IT research;
- critically analyse and assess previous approaches to solve a particular research problem;
- formulate a research hypothesis and chose an appropriate methodology to evaluate that hypothesis;
- conduct the experiment and/or implementation in order to evaluate the hypothesis;
- demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate their research findings both orally and in writing.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- One 1-hour meeting with the project supervisor
- Additional requirements (all students):
- As directed by project supervisor, the student may be required to attend seminars and other research group meetings and activities. The remainder of the time will be spent on individual study and completion of the project.
See also Unit timetable information