6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Master of Project Management (C6006): No prerequisites.
All other courses: Must have passedor (MGX5962 and three of ( , , , , , , MGX5991, MGX5992, )).
This unit provides students with an understanding of the development and use of information systems that support managers, especially their decision-making tasks. Students will learn of the nature of management work and decision theory and how this affects the development of decision support systems. A number of commonly used decision support methods and techniques will be explored. Students will be introduced to personal decision support systems, group support systems, negotiation support systems, data warehousing, executive information systems and business intelligence.
At the completion of this unit, students will:
- examine and describe the concepts, scope and application of IT for decision support;
- explain the nature of managerial decision-making;
- create IT-based decision support for managers;
- evaluate major approaches of IT-based decision support;
- select the appropriate decision support approach for a particular project;
- perform system analysis for management support projects.
Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information