18 points, SCA Band 2, 0.375 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is a research unit for students in the Graduate Certificate in Information Technology Research. Due to the nature of IT, a wide range of project types can be offered to students. Some project components are of a practical nature and may involve software development and/or experimentation, while other components are of a more theoretical nature.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- design a rigorous Masters level research project and develop project proposal;
- critically review research literature, research design and reported findings;
- evaluate and select research methods and techniques of data collection and analysis appropriate to particular research designs, projects and disciplines;
- conduct ethical research;
- communicate research findings in written and oral form in research and industry settings.
At the completion of the requirements for the thesis the following components of assessment will be completed:
Research Proposal: 5%; Literature Review: 10%; Interim Presentation: hurdle; Final Presentation: 5%; Thesis (normally 15,000 - 25,000 words): 80%
Minimum total expected workload equals 36 hours per week. Students will be expected to hold regular meetings with their supervisor(s) over the course of the semester.
See also Unit timetable information