6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
To be advised
Not offered in 2018
This subject introduces students to designing products for specific purposes at a more advanced level, and builds on knowledge gained in the previous semester. Presentation skills are further developed with the execution off detailed models of product designs, and the use of computer skills for engineering drawing. Emphasis is placed on design methodologies, ergonomics, documentation for manufacture, the sourcing of relevant product data, researching techniques and user analyses.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- produce original designs to a high standard of technical, production, and aesthetic requirements, which successfully resolve product semantic issues
- undertake value analysis studies of existing products
- prepare product design specifications
- demonstrate at an advanced level, skills, and abilities in the documentation of designs for production
- conceptualise, design and develop for specific market criteria
- produce detailed models for presentation purposes.
Projects: 70% + Minor Project: 30%
6 studio hours and 6 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information