12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
- First semester (extended) 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
Admission to the double award Master of Industrial Design with South East University, China.
This unit is only available to student enrolled in the double award Masters of Industrial Design with Southeast University, China
This unit represents the first of a multi-part design project. In most instances the project is to be determined by the students at the beginning of the semester in consultation with their lecturer. The outcomes of the project undertaken will vary depending upon the individual objectives established by the students and teaching staff. The unit provides an opportunity to undertake conceptual designs which will lead to the development of these ideas in the subsequent Design Projects. Students should be particularly concerned with the development of their personal design philosophy, the way in which it responds to social needs and its visual and social expression as a preliminary to its virtuoso development in the major project. The contemporary discourse in design and related theory is actively discussed and debated, with students encouraged to develop a personal position relative to it. Both the intentions of students and the results of their work are debated in group discussions and critical sessions. This unit is only available to students enrolled in the double award Master of Industrial Design with Southeast University, China.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- practice design to a standard of professional competency; engaging collaboratively and independently in the resolution and communication of design concepts;
- relate and critically analyse their design work against contemporary discourse and seek to extend its boundaries;
- defend their chosen direction in the project against informed criticism, through the synthesis of complex theories, concepts, and design strategies;
- apply advanced cognitive abilities, technical skills, and the practice of cultural inquiry to undertake their project;
- organise, develop and plan methodologies, for a project to successfully determine a viable outcome;
- Understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
100% project portfolio.
Block mode: 48 studio hours and 240 hours independent study in.
On Campus: 8 studio hours and 16 hours of independent study per week or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information