6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit is designed to allow students to identify a research project in the field of population health or clinical research, confirm an appropriate supervisor, develop the research question and methodology, and commence the project, including obtaining ethics approval if relevant.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Describe the theoretical basis behind their topic and research design
- Synthesise critical arguments in relation to the existing literature about the topic
- Develop appropriate research questions, aims and hypotheses
- Demonstrate a collaborative and critical approach to research
- Identify the ethical and methodological issues related to the conduct of the proposed research
- Successfully complete and receive the necessary ethical and governance approvals for the conduct of their research (if required)
- Effectively manage time and resources to achieve pre-determined goals.
- Confirmation of supervisor (Hurdle)
- Project proposal including literature review (Hurdle)
- Ethics approval (project dependent) (Hurdle)
Regular contact and consultation with supervisor either face to face or electronic.
6 hours per week for self-directed study and research related activities.
See also Unit timetable information