6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit gives students an advanced overview of the skills necessary to critique and evaluate research evidence. Students will be introduced to qualitative and quantitative methodologies related to conducting and evaluating survey questionnaire based research (quantitative research methodology) and semi-structured interviews (qualitative methodology).
This will provide the foundational skills to integrate clinically relevant evidence into daily professional practice.
Components of evidence-based practice in occupational therapy will be introduced and practised. Students will also be introduced to methods of presenting evidence, generating research questions, selecting and implementing appropriate mixed methods survey designs, completing data collection, analysis, interpretation and reporting of results.
Specifically, students will learn the fundamentals of conducting mixed methods quantitative and qualitative survey research. This knowledge will enable students to be evidence-based practitioners.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- locate and synthesise relevant evidence using a variety of formal and informal methods (e.g. health science databases, Internet) in order to develop a researchable clinical intervention research question;
- select, appraise and design questionnaires/scales used to gather data;
- apply comprehensive knowledge of survey research methodology;
- apply knowledge of qualitative research methodology and the ability to design and conduct qualitative data gathering methods such as focus group or semi-structured interviews;
- analyse data using quantitative and qualitative methods;
- analyse and discuss knowledge of ethical issues related to conducting research in professional practice.
- Quantitative and qualitative survey report: Literature review, synthesis and critique (1,500 words) (20%)
- Quantitative and qualitative survey report: Results and discussion (2,000 words) (40%)
- Short answer test #1 (1 hour) (20%)
- Short answer test #2 (1 hour) (20%)
- Attendance at 80% of unit tutorials, practical skills sessions and seminars is required to pass this unit.
- Development and analysis of mixed-methods survey
- Completion of review questions (online and tutorial)
Lecture component: 2 hours per week, Tutorial/Practicum component: 2 hours per week, Private study: 4 hours per week.
See also Unit timetable information