12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Photomedia processes or Photomedia fabrications
Photomedia project 1
This unit focuses on the production of a major body of photomedia work to an advanced level. Students are required to demonstrate an in-depth awareness of critical and topical issues within a contemporary art and design context. Students will negotiate a theme of personal interest in the field of contemporary photomedia with an understanding of the implications of media choice and presentation. Studio methodology and critique will challenge students to develop their understanding of current issues. Students are required to provide supporting documentation and research in a journal. A high standard of health and safety will be observed and taught at all times.
On successful completion of this unit students should:
- have an advanced practical and critical understanding of photomedia;
- understand and be able to apply photomedia processes, techniques and images to a major body of work to an advanced level;
- be able to produce a major body of work which demonstrates advanced technique integrally linked with ambitious ideas;
- have carried out a negotiated project on a theme of personal interest which results in a folio of images, or other forms of presentation as appropriate, with supporting documentation in a journal;
- have considered how their work is placed in the context of current art and design practice;
- understand the implications of media choice and presentation;
- be able to articulate their practice with clarity and insight to a high standard;
- observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
Folio 90% (which includes progressive assessment and research paper) and Journal 10%.
24 hours per week, comprising 8 contact hours and 16 independent study hours
See also Unit timetable information