6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Eitheror or or or FNA1201 or FNA1202 or FNA1211 or FNA1301 or FNA1212 or FNA1303 or FNA1302 or FNA1304
FNA2203 or FNA2305
This Painting 3A unit provides a rigorous program to broaden students' awareness of concepts and techniques across a range of approaches, and encourages them to seek appropriate solutions. Continued research and investigation of materials and processes fosters the acquisition of technical language, and influences appropriate choices to realise concepts within the context of a developing personal visual language. Set projects still occur but the emphasis is on self-motivated approaches. Teaching methods therefore tend to concentrate on individual tuition and group critique. Emphasis is placed on students' continued capacity to critically assess their own work as well as that of their peers.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- continue developing their own iconography and conceptual concerns commenced in the first year of the course
- develop their own conceptual and expressive strengths in relation to historical and current visual art practices
- have the skill to identify and engage other artists' work especially relevant to their own work
- have enhanced perceptual skills and critical sensibility necessary for the development of a personal visual language
- understand and apply the principles of occupational health and safety practices in the studio.
Folio of studio work:100%, of which at least 20% will be assessed before mid-semester.
12 hours per week, including four hours of taught studio and eight hours of personal study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information