6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Admission to the Master of Multimedia Design or the Master of Multimedia
This unit will examine the social, historical, organisational and business context of the development of multimedia. It will describe the social and cultural background to the current explosion of interest in multimedia systems, and will explore the wider social and organisational impacts and implications of multimedia and the techniques which support it. Major benefits for using multimedia will be identified, as well as potential problems, such as institutional or entrenched resistance.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- have some understanding of the history of multimedia development
- apprehend the potential of multimedia for applications in business, commerce, education, training, entertainment, information referencing, and other areas
- have an understanding of the wider social implications of using multimedia
- be capable of identifying potential problems and perceiving benefits in planned uses of multimedia
- understand how virtual models of reality may provide limited insights into social organisations and their behaviour
- be able to demonstrate the need for developing ethical and aesthetic standards in multimedia products which will maximise benefits for users
- be able to provide a critical analysis of the impact of a multimedia development in respect of social and cultural issues, and advise the developers accordingly.
Exercise 750 words (15%)
Class paper 2000 words (35%)
Essay 3000 words (50%)
3 hours in class and 10 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information