6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit develops skills and knowledge around the historic and current economic structures of cities. Students will undertake research into economic approaches to urban development, city infrastructure and service delivery, as well as critically reflect on the economic drivers of cities in Australia and overseas.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of historical and contemporary economic drivers shaping cities;
- Critically explore how forces and stakeholders impact civic economies;
- Gain proficiency in contemporary evaluation and assessment tools for understanding urban economies;
- Develop capacity to be critical of current economic configurations and to speculate on alternatives;
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
Weekly assignments (40%)
Analytical project (40%)
Final presentation (20%)
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours per week and 9 hours of independent study or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information