12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
A pass in unit
Any FNA level 1 unit
This unit is the second in the Visual Practices sequence that provides students with a broad range of approaches to contemporary art for those wishing to work in the arts industry as curators, arts writers, educators or practitioners. Topics are delivered in a workshop environment and will include a range of media and approaches to contemporary art and its institutions. Students will be encouraged to further develop inventive solutions to a series of projects set around these topics. Teaching methods involve critical dialogue, class discussion and evaluation. Safe and sustainable approaches to fabrication techniques and materials are promoted as core values in the unit.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a further ability to initiate, develop and express conceptual and material solutions to projects set across a range of fine art media
- Have added to their understanding of a variety of production methods used in contemporary visual art practices, have an appreciation of various mediums, their properties and uses, and be able to work with materials and techniques in an experimental manner
- Demonstrate an enhanced understanding and ability to undertake interdisciplinary approaches across contemporary visual art practices at both individual and collaborative levels
- Demonstrate further understanding of the synthesis between observation, analysis, experimentation and critique
- Demonstrate further ability to contextualise their work and its theoretical and material rationale within the field of contemporary visual art practices
- Demonstrate further knowledge and ability to achieve safe and sustainable working practices within studio environment.
100% mixed mode
24 hours per week, including 8 hours of taught studio and 16 hours of personal study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information