This specialisation will prepare you to teach adolescents from 12 to 18 years of age in secondary schools from Year 7 to Year 12 as a specialist teacher of health and physical education, health and human development and a third subject area of your choice, such as outdoor education and environmental studies. It will also prepare you to work more broadly in community, recreational and sporting settings. You will develop an understanding of adolescent learning and the nature of secondary education including areas such as: classroom teaching and practice in schools, curriculum planning, implementation and evaluation, and education and its relationship to society.
This area of study entry applies to students commencing this course in 2019 and should be read in conjunction with the relevant course entry in the Handbook.
Any units listed for this area of study relate only to the 'Requirements' outlined in the component of any bachelors double degrees.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
Part A. Education studies (36 points)
- Understanding learning and learners
- Understanding teaching for learning
- Professional responsibilities, practice and relationships
- Adolescent development and learning
- Developing multiple literacies in education
- Schooling, education and equity: Local and global perspectives
Part B. Curriculum studies (54 points)
- Introduction to health and physical education
- Contemporary issues in health and physical education
- Interdisciplinary approaches to health and physical education
- Social and environmental influences on health and physical education
- Community development and partnerships
- Senior secondary physical education
- Senior secondary health education
- Method unit A* or Outdoor education in the secondary years A**
- Method unit B* or Outdoor education in the secondary years B**
* Corresponding to the discipline studies taken in section C below. Refer to the secondary specialist/discipline areas, prerequisites and unitssecondary specialist/discipline areas, prerequisites and units (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/courses/units/secondary-specialisms/).
**For students completing the outdoor education and environmental studies discipline only.
Part C. Discipline studies (102 points)
Discipline study 1: Health and physical education (66 points)
- Sociocultural foundations of health and physical education
- Biophysical and behavioural foundations of health and physical education
- Motor control and skill acquisition
- Applied movement contexts in health and physical education 1
- Perspectives on health
- Leadership, policy and pedagogies in health and physical education
- Health, sustainability and wellbeing
- Applied movement contexts in health and physical education 2
- Inclusion and diversity in movement contexts
- Research project in education
- Advanced sport and exercise science
Discipline study 2 (36 points)
One of the following secondary specialist/discipline areassecondary specialist/discipline areas (http://www.monash.edu/education/current-students/courses/units/secondary-specialisms) options:
- Outdoor education and environmental studies - a six-unit discipline study
- Social education - a six-unit discipline study
- Biology - a four-unit discipline study plus two undergraduate education electives
- Business - a four-unit discipline study plus two undergraduate education electives
- Geography - a four-unit discipline study plus two undergraduate education electives
- Mathematics - a four-unit discipline study plus two undergraduate education electives
Part D. Professional studies (12 points)
Students complete 80 days of supervised professional experience in secondary schools.
- Secondary professional experience 1A (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 1B (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 2A (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 2B (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 3A (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 3B (0 points)
- Transition and professional engagement
- Secondary professional experience 4A (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 4B (0 points)
- Researching teaching and learning
80 days of professional experienceprofessional experience (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/professional-experience/placements/) completed in secondary schools.
Special course requirements
Students must complete as part of their course requirements:
- AUSTSWIM certificate or Swim Teacher's Certificate (ASCTA)
- a First Aid certificate (minimum Level II).
Both certificates must be current at the time of course completion.
This specialisation is accredited by professional bodies. Refer to Professional recognitionProfessional recognition (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/undergrad/edu-04.html) for information.
Related areas of study
Successful completion of this undergraduate specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- D3001 Bachelor of Education (Honours)
Students in other single bachelor's degrees or Bachelor or Education (Honours) double degrees are not eligible to complete this specialisation.